Current:Home > ContactTaylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack -NextFrontier Finance
Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:07:55
Taylor Swift’s upcoming concerts in Austria were the target of an alleged terror plot.
Authorities in Vienna confirmed to NBC News Aug. 7 that two men have been arrested in connection to planned attacks on major events in the city, including the “Karma” singer’s upcoming Eras Tour shows on Aug. 8, Aug. 9, and Aug. 10, which have been canceled.
"Due to confirmation by government officials of a planned terrorist attack at the Ernst Happel Stadium," event organizer Barracuda Music wrote on Instagram Aug. 7, "we have no choice but to cancel the three planned shows for everyone's safety."
Swift's website also announced that all tickets for the three shows "will be automatically refunded within the next 10 business days."
One of the suspects taken into custody is a 19-year-old man who had allegedly pledged allegiance to the Salafi-jihadist group ISIS, Vienna State Police Director Franz Ruf and the head of the State Police Gerhard Purstl said during a press conference Aug. 7. The authorities also noted, per NBC News, another arrest was made later that afternoon.
Authorities explained that the arrested suspects had “detailed” plans to carry out an attack, and the 19-year-old had been found with chemical substances which authorities are currently trying to determine whether could be used to make a bomb.
E! News has reached out to reps for Swift regarding the arrests and cancelation, but has not yet heard back.
The arrest comes less than a month after an individual was arrested prior Swift’s concert in Gelsenkirchen, Germany, due to threats against Swift and her boyfriend Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce, both 34.
According to the Associated Press, a 34-year-old man had purchased a ticket for the Miss Americana star’s July 17 concert, but was arrested upon entry into the Veltins-Arena, following “tips from organizers of the event.”
And while Swift did not publicly address the previous arrest, she had spoken adamantly before about the precautions she has in place to keep her shows, fans and loved ones safe—calling any violence at her shows her “biggest fear” after the bombing at an Ariana Grande concert and shooting at the Route 91 Harvest music festival in 2017.
“I was completely terrified to go on tour this time because I didn’t know how we were going to keep 3 million fans safe over seven months,” she wrote in an essay for Elle in 2019. “There was a tremendous amount of planning, expense, and effort put into keeping my fans safe.”
(E! News and NBC News are both a part of NBCUniversal).
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (7)
Related
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Bijou Phillips Confirms Romance with Jamie Mazur After Danny Masterson Breakup
- Man who died at 110 was 'always inquisitive.' Now scientists will study his brain.
- Adam Silver on Caitlin Clark at the Olympics: 'It would've been nice to see her on the floor.'
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- QB Trevor Lawrence and the Jaguars agree to a 5-year, $275M contract extension, AP source says
- Gayle King wears 'Oprah is fine' T-shirt after BFF's stomach virus hospitalization
- Say his name: How Joe Hendry became the biggest viral star in wrestling
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Woman dies while hiking on Colorado trail, prompting heat warning from officials
Ranking
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- Report: Differences between gay and straight spouses disappear after legalization of gay marriage
- Man charged with threatening FBI agent who had been involved in Hunter Biden laptop investigation
- Abortion advocates, opponents agree on one thing about SCOTUS ruling: The fight isn't over
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Andy Cohen Has This Message for RHONJ Fans Worried About a Cast Reboot
- Climate Protesters Take to the Field at the Congressional Baseball Game
- Utah Hockey Club will be the name of the NHL team in Salt Lake City for its inaugural season
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Andy Cohen Has This Message for RHONJ Fans Worried About a Cast Reboot
Jan. 6 offenders have paid only a fraction of restitution owed for damage to U.S. Capitol during riot
Woman dies after collapsing on Colorado National Monument trail; NPS warns of heat exhaustion
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
Summer House's Kyle Cooke and Amanda Batula Shut Down Breakup Rumors in the Sweetest Way
Former Illinois men's basketball star Terrence Shannon Jr. found not guilty in rape trial
Miami Dolphins add veteran defensive end Calais Campbell